Saturday, February 4, 2012

Oho Rios, Jamica

On Monday, we spent the day in Ocho Rios, Jamaica! I have to tell you, although Joe and I had such a good time on our River Tubing excursion, I did not like Jamaica. It was sad seeing how poor the people are there. The roads to get to our excursion were something you would think of in a third world country......very very bumpy and lots and lots of pot holes. When we were climbing the mountain to get to our excursion, in an old beat up van with no air conditioning, there were some parts of the road where everyone in the van would gasp for air and lean to one side of the van because we were so close to the side of the cliff and the roads are so narrow. Once we got to the top where it was set up for river tubing, it was fine, and LOTS of fun. It was so beautiful. We tubed down the White River and you could literally see straight down to the bottom of the river. It was shallow in some parts and very deep in others. I got dumped off my float in one of the rapids and I could not touch, so I know it was deep at that particular point. The water was also very cold......but all in all, a lot of fun!!
Joe had to stop at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville on the way back and they had a water slide in the bar! He had to do it -- so much fun!!
My dad got a bit of a stomach bug the morning we arrived in Jamiaca, so he sat this city out! Once we got back from our excursion, we went and got mom and the kids and went to tour the city a little bit -- again, not my favorite. Lots of pushy people wanting you to buy whatever it is they're selling. We did get the kids an "ice cold coconut" -- not their favorite, but they looked like "islanders!!"

No comments: